Friday, April 23, 2010

World Day of Prayer for Vocations: "Witness Awakens Vocations"

This weekend, April 24th and 25th, we celebrate the 47th annual World Day of Prayer for Vocations! The entire Church is called to pray that Jesus' call to "follow Him" will be heard in the hearts of the young men and women who God is calling to the priesthood, religious life, marriage, the diaconate, and the single life lived for the Gospel. The theme for this year is: "Witness Awakens Vocations" Pope Benedict wrote, "Every priest, every consecrated person, faithful to his or her vocation, radiates the joy of serving Christ and draws all Christians to respond to the universal call to holiness. Consequently, in order to foster vocations to the ministerial priesthood and the consecrated life, and to be more effective in promoting vocations, we cannot do without the example of those who already have said 'yes' to God and to his plan for the life of each individual. Personal witness, in the form of concrete existential choices, will encourage young people for their part to make demanding decisions affecting their future."

I have definitely experienced this to be true! I've been so blessed in my life to have strong, prayerful, wise, and passionate priests and religious women in my life that inspired me to become a priest! Among them is Fr. Carl Beavers. Pictured above on the far left, Fr. Beavers has mentored me for nearly half of my life and all my priesthood. I still have my class notes from his Senior Theology class in High School. Many people including myself consider him to be a hero. Doesn't hurt that he is a Denver Broncos fan! What I admire about Fr. Beavers is his prayerful dedication to the God, the Blessed Mother, and the Church. I've always known him to be a man with "fire in the belly" for the things of the Kingdom. He's spoken and written about topics that affect not only the parishes he's served, but have guided our diocese, influenced politicians, called all to deeper appreciation for the Gospel's power to influence for the better the common good. His homilies and witness have been a light and a call to holiness. I think also of Fr. Michael Carr my pastor during my High School and seminary years and his gentle wisdom that has taught me so much. Fr. Vernon Clark's wonderful vitality and generous pastoral ministry also were instrumental in my saying 'yes' many times to the seminary. Every priest, religious, and deacon I've know has been an encouragement in one way or another for me to "find (my) delight in the Lord, He will grant your heart's desire."


This year I've invited several religious orders of women to come to St. Paul's Newman Center to speak to the young women who are open and searching for a meaningful way to give their lives in service to God and the Church. I realized in years past that I cannot provide the witness they need as young women so I turned to those heroic women who are living that beautiful call. What a powerful impact that has had this year! Not only on the young women but on me!


As we enter this "Good Shepherd Sunday" let us be grateful to God for the priests, religious men and women, deacons, married couples, families, and dedicated disciples who walk with us and inspire us to find the way of service God has planned for us! Let us also be open to the way that our personal witness can guide and encourage our peers, our children, and others to "give it all for the love of God!"